Saturday, March 08, 2008

What do you do when you're giving one of the talks at your church's women's retreat in May and the written version needs to be turned in tomorrow at church, but you can't seem to get the words from the place where they're floating around in your head to the paper they need to be on to be turned in?

You clean out your junk drawer for goodness sake! I have lived in this house for 3 years now and never taken a single thing out of this drawer. Only added things. So today, I have to clean it out. It must be done. I can't go on another day without doing it.

Here's what I retreived from that drawer.


Well, not my bible or the crayon box, they were already on the counter.

This is an odd combination of items. A cigar next to a coupon that one of my kids brought home from school for a free pizza buffet.


This is what we'll call the "office supply" pile. I think I'll send all of this to E's new office.


And this, well, this could be described as the bane of my existence. It's a Polly Pocket shoe. I should've put a penny next to it for reference for those of you who aren't familiar with the scale of Polly's accessories. Whenever I am cleaning and I come across one of these, I can't bring myself to throw it away. Even though it's no bigger than a poppy seed. I know how frustrating it can be to be looking for a pair of shoes to wear and only finding one, so I can't bear the thought of throwing one of these away when the other shoe could be floating around somewhere in the girl's room.


I think Anna's Polly Pocket doll has all of the pairs of shoes that she came with. I haven't lost one yet. Well, maybe, in the vacuum cleaner. Or possibly in a baby's mouth. I not obsessed enough to go through vacuum cleaner canisters or dirty diapers. I've got to draw the line somewhere.

3 comments:

Totallyscrappy said...

Oh, the junk drawer! I totally understand about the Polly Pocket shoe. I teach kindergarten and I am always coming home with little bits and pieces that I cannot bear to throw away... or remember to take back to school and put away!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and suggesting the coffee table book with families photographed with their belongings. It does sound interesting.

Lydianna Bradford said...

The polly pocket shoes drive me crazy! I never throw them out either, but it is often hard to find a matching pair anyways. I think Kevin throws them away. I noticed yesterday while we were packing he also throws away hangers that are not where they belong. I'm starting to think he may have a habit of throwing away all kinds of things when I'm not looking...

Jen said...

I keep all the Polly Pocket shoes in a doll-size suitcase. (It's actually some sorta of fast food kid toy. It's a keychain mint tin looking thing. Anyway, it works great! I also keep the other really tiny accessories in it.) Only 2 or 3 pairs of shoes are allowed out at a time under close supervision and then all are accounted for and put away. I'm so picky!