Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Sweet!

I have been on a low-carb, low sugar thing for about 6 weeks now and I have to say, I didn't think it was possible to live without bread, but I'm finding it is. I've been doing lots of research and thank goodness for the internet, there's a ton of stuff out there for me to try. I've been buying stuff like coconut flour and flax meal and using sweeteners like agave nectar and coconut sap. I've never really paid much attention to all that stuff in the store so I didn't even know some of it existed.


I made dinner tonight for a visiting friend of ours and wanted to make a dessert. I haven't even really had dessert in 6 weeks, so I didn't want to go crazy, just have a little sump'n sump'n to finish off the meal. One of the web sites I've been using for grainless recipes is www.joyfulabode.com. She does a lot of experimenting and the stuff that works, she shares. It's great. I looked for a dessert in her grainless section and found this cake. She calls it Grain-Free Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake. I call it pretty darn good. (I have to say, it does have unadulterated cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips and agave nectar, but I was trying to stay away from flour on this one. I just had a small sliver.)


Another note: I assume that the lemon juice that's called for is to react to the baking soda to make the cake a little fluffy. I'm not sure. But I didn't have lemon juice so I used apple cider vinegar. It turned out just fine.


You can find her recipe here.


And here's my picture so you know it turned out exactly like hers:





If you're interested in grainless or gluten free cooking or even vegetarian, check out this blog. I was really impressed with how many and how varied her recipes are. You can tell her Pam sent you ;)



3 comments:

Leilani said...

That was a pretty instense cake, I must say. I literally only had a crumb and I was floored! I bet it is amazing with some strong coffee.:)

kristina akers said...

Ok it's going on my list! Keep telling me what to make bc I'm at day 1 and already hated my dinner without vegtables.

Beth said...

I'm so glad that you are blogging again!