Thursday, April 05, 2012

William Morris Thursday - the spice cabinet



From the looks of this blog over the last few months, you'd think it was dedicated exclusively to William Morris. But I haven't had the energy to do much else lately. I did spend 2 hours on a really great blog post last Sunday and set it to post the following morning, only to find that Blogger had deleted everything but the title and the labels. I didn't have the energy to redo it.

Yesterday, I reached into my spice cabinet and it hit me. I realized I hadn't cleaned the thing out in all the 7 years I've lived in this house. I also realized that while lots of space can be a great blessing, it can also become a curse. When you have enough space in a cabinet to chuck things into it for 7 years with very little being removed, that's a curse.

I didn't waste any time deciding if I had the time to do this project, I just started. And after successfully cleaning and organizing my pantry, I knew this was the next natural step.


This is my great blessing of a spice cabinet, complete with lazy Susan. However, this setup, over the years, has created one seriously lazy Pam. I didn't include pictures of all the things that have fallen over the edge and into unreachable spaces back there.


When I got it all out onto my counter top, I was amazed that it all came from one cabinet.


My next move was to divide the keep from the toss. I know it looks like I was liberal with the keep pile, but there were several repeated items that needed consolidating.


After the consolidation process, I decided that I wanted to transfer a lot of the spices I use frequently to glass jars. Luckily, the hoarder voice in me has been telling me to save jars for the past year so I had a good stash of all shapes and sizes and nearly everything ended up in one.


What was left was a bunch of empty glass and plastic bottles ready to be recycled. But what about all those lids? I hated to throw them all away, but after reading this article, I realized my only choice was to toss them.


Next, I sprayed everything in the cabinet down and loaded up my newly labeled spice containers in a loosely organized-by-category fashion.


There. That's much better.



I'm linking up with Jules' William Morris project,



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I dream of a glass jar only pantry and spice cabinet!
I hate throwing out lids too! What a shame.

Anonymous said...

Spicy. Deliciousness. Awesome job on cleaning out your spice space. Completely jealous of the lazy susan cupboard. Sometimes it is good to just get rid of things, even though it is hard, it seems like such a shame, but really is for the better.

Alana in Canada said...

That looks fantastic! Well done. I bet it will be easier to deal ith from now on, too. I have a little spice jar project that I did but haven't posted about --post-it note labels aren't really photographically stunning, kwim?

Melissa@Home Baked said...

Looks great! So sorry about your post being eaten--that happened to me the other day--so frustrating!

May said...

I had no idea about the lids. I have probably contaminated more recycling bins than I care to imagine.

Sharon Hermens said...

Hi, Honey. I've actually used some spice lids for stencils in art projects When I get several I pass them on to other artist friends since I don't need them all. If any of you are journal junkies you can use them as a stencil on your pages. I look at things differently now and ask myself..."How can I use this?" instead of throwing it away. However, I have to watch that I don't end up with a ton of them. Another re-cycle is old glass salt and pepper containers with the aluminum lids. Use them for glitter shakers. Sorry, Pam. Couldn't stop!!!