Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Adventures with the Tooth Fairy (Part 1)


Today I went to the dentist. For the first time in over 10 years. I must say it was a really pleasant experience. I got there at 10:30 and filled out all the necessary paperwork. Then, Elizabeth, took me into a consultation room to discuss my goals for my dental health. I told her that I wanted to start having regular checkups again and that I wanted to maybe get veneers for my two front teeth. She was adorable. And she knew her stuff. I had about 15 x-rays taken and then computer pictures of all of my teeth. I got to see all of them up close. The last time I was in a dentist's office was about 2 years ago and I was not a patient. We all know how that went. Anyway, this was a much better experience.

While Elizabeth was checking out my teeth up-close, she said that they looked very good for not having been looked at in over 10 years. She said that I hardly had any tarter build-up. What she didn't know is that I can't stand to feel stuff on my teeth. I like my teeth to feel smooth like they look. Every once in a while, when they start feeling "not smooth," I get out my tools and scrape away. Sorry if this is gross. I have been doing it for as long as I can remember as an adult. I wondered for a minute if I should let her in on my secret or if I should just let her think that I have super tarter-impervious teeth. I decided to tell her. She was pretty impressed. She said I had been doing a pretty good job. After getting all the pictures she needed, she left to go get the dentist.

After a few minutes, she came back and said that it would be a little bit longer since the dentist was still with another patient. Normally, they don't do this on the first visit, but since I had to wait a little while, she had one of the girls from the spa come in and give me a hand and forearm massage. Wow! My whole body felt relaxed. I bet they do that again just before they tell you how much everything is going to cost!

The dentist came in a little while later and can I just say that I love this woman?!? She is so maternal. I just wanted to crawl up in her lap and ask her to tell me the story about the big bad cavity one more time! She is the wife dentist of the husband/wife dentist team at Abilene Dental. Her specailty is cosmetics. She said that Elizabeth told her about my tarter eradicating skills and she thought I might have a hidden talent as a dental hygienist. She went on to look at my teeth one by one and call out the number and some descriptive terms I wasn't familiar with about the condition of each one. She also felt my jaw muscles and asked if I slept with my mouth open (yes) and if I ever grind my teeth (yes, again, usually when I go shopping). I also told her that with all of my four pregnancies I craved ice like some people crave pickles. She said that explained some of the wear that she thought was from grinding.

The verdict on the whole thing was that I have some cavities that are in early enough stages to catch before needing root canals or crowns and that I would benefit from veneers on my front teeth. Not only for cosmetic reasons, but to prevent tooth decay in the places where my old bonding is wearing away. She also told me I might want to consider Invisalign to straighten my teeth out a little. I think that might be unnecessary. She agreed that my dental health would be fine without having my teeth straightened, so I'm pretty sure Elliott is going to say no thank you to that! I have an appointment at the end of the month to discuss what direction I want to go and how much it's going to cost. All in all, it was not a bad way to spend two and a half hours away from the kids. I'll keep you posted on the rest and maybe when it's all over, I can post some before and after shots on here. Who knows, maybe you'll see them on KTAB when they do their dental segment on Mondays!

5 comments:

Brandi Wilson said...

Wow...that's freaky about your own dental tools! I never would have dared to think or do that myself!
Hey, maybe when you grow up you should be a dental hygentist! You might like it.

I'm glad the dentist went well. We have a great dentist too. It makes all the difference.

Anonymous said...

Cole's dad is a dentist! Yah-free dental care for us and our children! But, the down side is that we never remember to have a cleaning. For me, not having a cleaning every 6 months is crazy! It gets on every one of my CORRECT nerves. Cole, on the other hand, hates getting his teeth cleaned/worked on, so he dosen't care.

Mrs. SeƱora Cobbey said...

Hey I just called the dentist to set up an appointment after FIVE YEARS OF WAITING just yesterday! (Not your ten but I don't have my own dental tools.) Anyway, last time I went to the dentist I ended up finding out I was pregnant. They were going to put me on some antibiotics so I could get a root canal and they had to make sure I wasn't pregnant. Well, I KNEW I wasn't since it had been about 7 years of waiting but when I took the pregnancy test (just in case) I found out I WAS! Anyway, long story short, I'm either gonna get a root canal (joy) at this appointment or am gonna find out I'm pregnant (kidding!)

Anonymous said...

It must run in the family! I have some tools also, and love to scrape that nasty tarter off when needed. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

This post is so help to me! Thanks for share.