Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Lists

Lately, I feel like my life is ruled by lists. Maybe it's because I just can't be held accountable for stuff that's left to float around in my head anymore. I've always been a list maker. Something about it feels like half the work is done, if I can just write it all out on paper. Of course, I know it's just the easiest step in the whole process, but let's just let me have my theories.

I remember when I was single and didn't have a lot of money to buy frivolous things, as opposed to now when I roll down the car windows and let the wind carry it off just for fun ;), I would order catalogs and when they came, I would sit and pore over them, page by page, check-marking and circling until, when I got to the end, I would fill out the order form as if I were buying all the stuff I had just circled. Then I would tear out the order form and throw it away. For some reason, that satisfied me. Kind of like window shopping in my own apartment.

Back to today's lists. You won't find me poring over catalogs anymore, probably because I spend all that time on Pinterest, but I do still find it therapeutic to make a list. I don't expect anyone to really care about my lists, as they're usually just for me, but I've been wanting a little bit of accountability for them so I think I'll post one every now and then. This one was inspired by Jules and her 31 Days of William Morris posts. She kicked the whole thing off with a list of things she wanted to do in her house to live more closely by the William Morris quote, "Have nothing in your house you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." It got me thinking about all the projects I have around here that I haven't put a deadline on. And without a deadline, it might as well be dead. This list will concentrate on my kitchen.

Redo my chalkboard wall the way I originally planned it in my head.
Patch chipped corners and repaint walls.
Make/buy some sort of cabinet or shelf for the computer desk nook.
Trim out areas of baseboard that were never trimmed out. Just noticed this the other day. How is that possible?
Trim island in beadboard. 
Trim bar area in beadboard.
Hang something, anything, from the window. Valance?
Reorganize pantry.
Scrub all cabinet fronts and baseboards.
Inventory kitchen items and discard what I don't/won't use.
Art on walls.
Re-evaluate kitchen table and chairs. More useful in another room?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks for bearing with me while I empty my brain a bit. If you want to help me accomplish any of these, you know where to find me. ;)

No comments: