Wednesday, November 09, 2011

A simple meal

Every once in a while, I stumble upon the perfect meal. Nothing fancy, mind you, just one that comes together easily, is liked by everyone and gets eaten completely.


That's pretty rare at my house, so I'm gonna share it with you. I didn't think to take pictures of the process because, well, that would take it to a level that was not easy and enjoyable. It's pretty self-explanatory so I'll just give you the recipes and let you figure it out if you feel like trying it sometime.




I started with frozen tilapia filets I got at H-E-B. I just put them in the sink and cover them with water to thaw. Then I follow this recipe:


Parmesan Crusted Tilapia (source)


4 4oz. tilapia filets
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste


Salt and pepper both sides of tilapia. Combine in a bowl the cheese, butter, and lemon juice. You may need to put into microwave to soften butter. Put tilapia on a cookie sheet sprayed with oil, cover the top of tilapia with the cheese mixture and broil until it's golden brown. Serve hot.


Roasted Broccoli


broccoli (however much you need to feed everyone)
olive oil
kosher salt
fresh cracked pepper


Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash broccoli and break into bite sized pieces. Put in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat and spread out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt and cracked pepper. Put in oven and cook until you smell it and remember you put it in there. ;) Actually, I've never paid any attention to how long it takes, but I would say after 15 minutes or so, the edges start to get brown and it gets a little bit soft. That's how we like it around here. You'll have to experiment to see what your family likes.


Tri-colored Orzo


This is just what I make because the kids love it. It's a type of pasta and it cooks up just like macaroni. You could serve this with rice or noodles or whatever type of starch you like to eat with fish.


That's it. This may not turn out to be your perfect meal, but you'll never know until you try. Now I'm off to watch Annie with the kids. That Pandora show tunes channel is really starting to rub off on me.

No comments: