Okay. I thought of one more thing for my list. This one is a doozy! I'm not sure I even want to put it on the list because that would make it official and it would be out there for all the world to see. Here goes. Last year, as in a couple of months ago, Elliott requested that I find some place other than Wal-Mart to shop for, let's see.....EVERYTHING. He and I read a book called the Wal-Mart Effect about how they have swooped in and taken over all the mom and pop places and the tactics they use. It made me think twice about them, but necessity won over conviction. There's just no other place I can go for, let's see....EVERYTHING! Anyway, long story short (too late) I have resolved to not spend any money at Wal-Mart this year. And, shoot, if I can do that for a year why would I ever go back - ever? I am doing it not so much to take a stand, because I know there are lots of other stores that have tried to do the same thing but were unsuccessful. I am doing it because my husband requested it and I would like to see if I can do it. I am creative. I am resourceful. And gosh darn it, it's just a store with lots of stuff and I can get stuff anywhere!
My new hang-outs will be:
● H-E-B - they have all kinds of stuff and some of it is gourmet!
● Target - cute, cute clothes...for the whole family! They'll probably last a little longer, too.
● Payless, Shoe Carnival, etc - Even Wal-Mart has stopped carrying size 11 shoes and Target rarely has them.
● Save-a-Lot - I used to shop there all the time. It's kind of scary for some people, but I love it. Oh, this place doesn't work with kids and you have to bag your own groceries, which is sometimes fun! They have all the basics I need and you really can save a lot!
● Walgreen, CVS, Shutterfly - I won't actually be hanging out at Shutterfly, don't think that's possible. I will be doing my photo organizing online, uploading to those places, and picking them up when I'm in Abilene.
I did go into Wal-Mart yesterday, but I was exchanging something that my mother-in-law bought for the kids. I walked in, exchanged, and walked out. The item I bought was defective, however, so I do need to go back in there one more time. Ridiculous!