Saturday, October 22, 2011

31 Days: Day 22 - Let's do some easy cooking

I don't know about you, but I need a break from all this purging and organizing. Let's do some cooking, shall we? Actually, it's pizza so there's not really any cooking involved. Just baking, and if you want to get technical, it's really just warming.

I have been on an on-again-off-again diet of sorts since August of 2010. I don't like to call it a diet because the very word seems temporary and what I set out to do was something I wanted to be permanent. In a nutshell, I cut way back on carbs, sugar, and processed foods. For the most part, it's been pretty easy, but sometimes, when my family asks for pizza, I get weak in the knees. I've always loved pizza. And I never considered it to be bad for me because I love it loaded with every kind of veggie you can imagine. I think my downfall may have been eating too many pieces and volunteering to eat all the crusts no one wanted. I feel bloated just thinking about it.


One day, while grocery shopping, I noticed a product I'd never seen before in the bakery section. It's a bread product called Flat Out Flatbread. What got my attention was the claim at the bottom of the package that it makes "Amazing Pizza!" So I picked it up and turned it over to find the carb count. This bread is 100% whole wheat and it also has flax in it. I can't remember now what the carb count was, but because it has so much fiber in it, it only has 8 net carbs. Sitting next to the Flat Out on the shelf were Joseph's Flax Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Pita Bread. Also low in net carbs.


I threw a couple of packages in my cart and proceeded to find the rest of the ingredients I needed. "I'm havin' pizza tonight!" (Said like Bruce in Finding Nemo) 

I gathered up my ingredients, laid them all out and told everyone to make their own pizza. I gave the kids the pitas and Elliott and I took the flatbread. I assume everyone here knows how to make pizza. Usually, the most complicated part is the dough. Since we already have that part covered, the rest is pretty easy. 




Here's the ones I made for Elliott and me.








And the one's the kids made.






Normally I wouldn't buy any kind of low carb bread or tortilla product because they tend to taste gummy, but I gotta tell ya, once they were baked in the oven, they got crispy and made for a pretty good stand-in pizza base.

The great thing my husband and I noticed was that we couldn't eat as much as we normally can. There's so much fiber, you fill up quicker. And even when I did eat until I was full, I didn't have that heavy feeling and I wasn't unquenchably thirsty the rest of the evening.


The kids just thought they were eating pizza. Now that's saying something! 




Yum!

Click here for the rest of the 31 Days challenge posts.

No comments: