Thursday, October 27, 2011

31 Days: Day27 - A fall recipe

Yesterday the forecast called for cooler temps in the evening and since it's been a little warm for the past week or so, I decided that in honor of it getting cold again (hopefully this time for good) I'd make a nice fallish dish. I made a Garlic Root Roast several years ago for Thanksgiving and it was a hit. It's pretty healthy so knowing I could eat as much of it as I wanted helped steer me away from the hominy casserole and crescent rolls.


These are the ingredients (minus the onion, they didn't make it in time for the picture). There's carrots, parsnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, rutabagas, garlic and some rosemary and sage. Except for the herbs, do you notice a theme?




First, start with a large roasting pan. Put it in the oven and set it to 450 degrees. 




Then, prep your veggies. I happen to love this step. When it comes to prepping veggies, I am a machine! Once you peel and chop everything into chunks, mince your herbs. By this time, your oven should be preheated. Take out your roasting pan with oven mitts on (we can't forget we just heated that pan to 450 degrees!)(oh, believe me, it could happen) and coat with half the olive oil called for. Then, dump your veggies and herbs into the pan and stir them around to coat them with the oil.



Next, cover the whole thing with a tight fitting lid or aluminum foil. I would suggest using the heavy duty stuff even though my children left me with the cheap stuff. It came from the dollar store and it's about the thickness of saran wrap. It worked, though, so if you don't have the heavy duty stuff don't sweat it.




Put it in the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Then, remove the foil and roast for another 15 to 20 minutes. And prepare for your house to smell like Thanksgiving. This dish just requires a little salt and pepper to taste and it's ready to eat. 



See all those brown, crusty bits underneath? Those are yummy bits of carmelized veggie goodness!



Doesn't that look scrumptious?!?



Well, let me tell you, it is! Enjoy!


Click here for all the 31 Days posts.

No comments: