Friday, October 07, 2011

31 Days: Day 7 - Improving your home through privacy.


Today's topic is short and sweet. Privacy. It's important. Especially in a marriage. 


I once heard a speaker at my church say that one of the best things you can do for your marriage is put a lock on your bedroom door. Really? One of the best things? Well, I'm not an expert on prioritizing the things that are good for your marriage in order of importance, but I will agree, from experience, that it's pretty high on my list.


My husband and I have, how shall I put it, a pretty healthy marriage in the intimacy department. Hence, the four kids running around. We also love to have deep conversations about issues ranging from my husband's work situation to what we would do if we had 'the force'. My husband's answer, by the way, "I would use it to turn off the water in the backyard. You wanna go check and see if it worked?"


The one thing that kills the mood, any mood, for me, is when someone comes barging into our room. We've told our kids that they need to always knock when they come to a closed bedroom or bathroom door, but unfortunately, that doesn't always stick. When you have a lock on the door, a working lock, the only interruption is a knock. Or a jiggling door knob.


And yes, we have had children walk in on us during...really intense conversations. And we've done our best to explain what exactly it was that they just saw. It makes for a really funny story when you're at a party, but is really awkward when you're stumbling with your words trying to convince a 6 year old how much mommy and daddy like to wrestle or hug or whatever we came up with at the time. How much easier would it have been if we just had a working lock on that door?


So, if you have children running around your house, barging through every door like they own the place, make sure those doors have locks on them. I know it sounds like a no-brainer, but at the moment, my bedroom has a lock on it, but it's broken. And that is on my to-do list for this weekend. 


My fourth child is being born on the other side of that door.


Click here for the rest of the 31 Days posts.

No comments: